Welcome to Cornucopia3D

Cornucopia3D: The World of Plenty!

On Cornucopia3D, you will find all sorts of resources to improve your 3D experience: forums, galleries, portfolios, tutorials, ... as well as a store where you can find top-quality content at the best possible price!

Member Login

Forgotten your password?

Not a member yet? Sign Up!

Cornucopia3D • View topic - Rendering problem

Rendering problem

For general discussions about the Vue product line. Any topic that does not fit in one of the following forums should be posted here.

Rendering problem

I have a boat model that I'm trying to render, but I'm having a problem.
I start Vue, select "Studio" as the type of scene, import the boat, hit render, and everything looks great. See the image to the left.

But when I go to the Atmosphere Editor, load an atmosphere and clouds, then hit render, black lines appear around the edges! See the image to the right.

I've tried everything, including NPR and anti-aliasing, but I can't see what's causing the black lines.
The model, materials, camera settings, and render settings are exactly the same- the only thing different is the atmosphere/ lighting.

Does anyone have any good ideas?

This post: September 20, 2017

by

John Hoagland

Re: Rendering problem

If you compare the two images you can see, that the light situation is VERY different. To the left, soft shadows and a bit more light from the front. To the right, very hard light from the back that shows these things that probably are there in the the left image too but you only can't see them.

I recommend to either check the model and see if the materials can be improved and/or tweak the atmosphere until the scene looks as you want it to be.
This post: September 21, 2017

by

Walther Beck_1
Site Admin

I did some more experimenting:
The image always looks good when I go to Atmosphere Editor and set the Atmosphere model to Environment mapping, even with any HDR image that I use as the light source.
But when I set the Atmosphere model to anything else (such as Photometric spectral, Standard spectral, Volumetric or Standard), the render looks like the image on the right.

I think you're right that the issue might be the model or the materials, but I just thought it was odd that the same model would render so differently. :)

by

John Hoagland

Good that you did some experiments. But isn't it the same with real nature too? All cats look gray when the light is low - to us (not to other cats).

So major part of our "business" in creating a nice looking scene is the light situation there. It starts with the atmosphere but goes way beyond that. More spotlights to lighten up parts of the scene a bit. Soft shadows to make the scene look not that hard. Less strength of the shadows (default is 100%) helps as well quite often, the list is endless.

by

Walther Beck_1
Site Admin

Return to Vue - General

Recommended screen resolution: 1024 x 768 (best view: Firefox 3, Safari 4, Chrome 9, Internet Explorer 8, Opera 10 or higher).