Welcome to Cornucopia3D

Cornucopia3D: The World of Plenty!

On Cornucopia3D, you will find all sorts of resources to improve your 3D experience: forums, galleries, portfolios, tutorials, ... as well as a store where you can find top-quality content at the best possible price!

Member Login

Forgotten your password?

Not a member yet? Sign Up!

Cornucopia3D • View topic - AMD Ryzen and Vue artists

AMD Ryzen and Vue artists

For general discussions about the Vue product line. Any topic that does not fit in one of the following forums should be posted here.

AMD Ryzen and Vue artists

The new Ryzen CPU's seem a great fit for productivity and rendering applications like Vue. They offer 8 core/16 thread performance for a very small price compared to what's been offered before for this kind of setup.

The Ryzen X1700 can be had for around $400 and when you consider that Vue complete costs $600 you can see the price is very affordable.

This price point makes it accessible to "normal", non-professional users and those on a budget.

My intention is to purchase Vue Complete and Ryzen CPU but I want to ensure that there's no artificial limitation placed in the Vue software preventing the use of the full 16 threads? I would hope not for $600 but thought I should check.

Could someone confirm this for me please?

Many thanks
This post: April 11, 2017

by

Reck

Re: AMD Ryzen and Vue artists

I believe that the Artist line (Esprit, Studio, Complete) are still capped at 8 threads. To get past that, you need Infinite or xStream.

by

TabascoJack

Keep in mind that if you retain your old 4-core PC, you should be able to use it as a network rendering node. New PC at 8 cores + old PC at 4 cores = 12 cores.

However, if you're a small pro or semi-pro studio set to spend £2,800 on a new ninja PC, you might instead look at a Boxx RenderPro 2 for £3,800 - 44 cores in a dedicated table-top box! :)

by

David Haden

Is that definitely threads and not cores?

I hope what you’re saying isn’t the case because that would severely hobble the Ryzen CPU in all but the most expensive version of Vue and let’s not forget that the top of the line artist line of Vue products isn’t exactly cheap.

I can understand restricting certain powerful features to the top level editions but why artificially limit your product like this? Especially now that 16 thread CPU’s are so cheap. These CPU’s are priced at consumer level and you don’t need to be running a studio to afford them so this restriction seems out of date.

I really hope E-on take a look at this in view of the Ryzen release as Vue has enough features to separate the editions without the need for artificial CPU\Thread restriction like this and seems to be very consumer unfriendly.

by

Reck

I too would hope this would not be true...
This post: April 13, 2017

by

Ken Morris

Any update on this?

I'm thing of buying an 8 core Ryzen but if I can't user the 16 hyperthreads it's not worth it.
( I own Vue Complete 2015 )
This post: April 27, 2017

by

Manhog

So what is the core limit for Vue artist versions?
This post: April 28, 2017

by

Ken Morris

4 cores/8 threads. It has always been this way since the artist line started.
This post: April 28, 2017

by

Peggy Walters

Is anyone here actually using the AMD Ryzen? If so are you pleased?
This post: June 05, 2017

by

Ken Morris

Return to Vue - General

Recommended screen resolution: 1024 x 768 (best view: Firefox 3, Safari 4, Chrome 9, Internet Explorer 8, Opera 10 or higher).