Welcome to Cornucopia3D

Cornucopia3D: The World of Plenty!

On Cornucopia3D, you will find all sorts of resources to improve your 3D experience: forums, galleries, portfolios, tutorials, ... as well as a store where you can find top-quality content at the best possible price!

Member Login

Forgotten your password?

Not a member yet? Sign Up!

Cornucopia3D • View topic - Displaying multiple suns

Displaying multiple suns

Mood, depth, photorealism, beauty…discuss cool lighting techniques, indirect illumination tips, fog, haze, volumetrics and other atmospheric elements.

Displaying multiple suns

I'm Using Vue Studio 2016 and would like to have two suns in the image. I've tried duplicating the default sun and also adding a directional light, neither have worked. It seems like I can only have one on at a time.
This post: September 03, 2017

by

RC Davison

Re: Displaying multiple suns

What do you mean with "has not worked"? Do you want two visible light sources in the sky?
This post: September 03, 2017

by

Walther Beck_1
Site Admin

Hi
If you mean 2 identical suns, I don't know how to achieve the effect. I tried to duplicate the default sun in Vue infinite 2016, it is not visible in the atmosphere, as if Vue was programmed to have only one in the scene.
The second becomes visible if you activate the lens flare effect in light editor, but it shows as a strong light, you don't see the shape of it (so they are not identical).
In the atmospheres Vue provides by default (at least in Infinite) there is one in "others", with 2 suns, but the settings are exactly what I describe : the default sun and a second with lens flare on, so different aspect.
Maybe a sphere as light source and a duplicate sun behind would do the trick?
This post: September 04, 2017

by

Lili

Thank you Walther and Lili for the feedback.

Walther:
Walther Beck_1 (1539751) wrote:What do you mean with "has not worked"? Do you want two visible light sources in the sky?

I mean I can't see the second directional light source as an object in the sky, like the sun is. The desired affect is to have two visible suns showing the same atmospheric effects but ideally, different physical size and color.

Lili: You say you can see the lens flare but don't see the shape of it - you are saying that you see the lens flare effect for the second light source but you can not see the actual source (the disk of the sun) in the sky? I think I did see that in my trials and errors.

Thanks!
RC

by

RC Davison

I made a quick test. Here:

To the left the normal scene sun, the other two spheres that are converted to areal lights. Then set lens flare and a light gel material that in the middle case got a glow. It can be tweaked lot more, here the intention was just to show that it is possible.

by

Walther Beck_1
Site Admin

Thank you! Greatly appreciate your assistance.

I'll play around with that and see if I can get what I'm after.

by

RC Davison

Walther has The Solution, as usual, he's the expert :D
Here are the tests I wrote above, plus other trials to illustrate what I meant
1 : duplicate sun : useless
2 : duplicate sun + lens flare on. Result : a strong light but no sun shape
3 : a sphere and a special effect material . Result : a mix of both, not very satisfying
4 : Walther's solution

by

Lili

Thanks, Lili. I appreciate your help and the images posted.

I didn't know about the convert to area light feature. I'll try using that.

It's difficult creating worlds!! ;-)

RC

by

RC Davison

Wait until you reached the seventh day. And make a rectangle sun - take a cube and convert that, this will be something god have not thought about.

by

Walther Beck_1
Site Admin

:lol:
This post: September 05, 2017

by

Lili

Return to Vue - Lighting and Atmospheres

Recommended screen resolution: 1024 x 768 (best view: Firefox 3, Safari 4, Chrome 9, Internet Explorer 8, Opera 10 or higher).